Jesus 101 - Part 3
Topic: Gospel of John Passage: John 1:12–1:13
In the first eighteen verses of his gospel. John provided a basic introduction to who Jesus is and why He came to earth and what our response to Him should and shouldn't be. There are EIGHT TRUTHS about Jesus are repeated again and again throughout John's Gospel:
This morning Pastor Ramey focuses on the sixth truth, REGENERATION, by teaching from two of the most important verses in the Bible - John 1:12-13. These verses tell the story of how God's life was received by His people.
1. Origination - Jesus has always existed (vv. 1-2)
2. Creation - Jesus created everything (v. 3)
3. Illumination - Jesus illuminated the darkness (vv. 4-5)
4. Attestation - Jesus was confirmed by John (vv. 6-8)
5. Rejection - He was rejected by His own (vv. 9-11)
6. Regeneration - He granted salvation to many (vv. 12-13)
To receive Jesus means to believe in Him, and to believe in Jesus means to obey Him (cf. John 1:12). This means not just recognizing that Jesus is Lord, but submitting to His Lordship (Phiippians 2:9). This submission is not of our doing, but is granted by God's will through His grace alone (1 Peter 1:3). And, our regeneration is carried out by God through the Scriptures.
7. Incarnation - He embodied God (vv. 14-17)
8. Explanation - He explained God (v. 18)
Thank God for His sovereign grace in choosing to adopt you as one of His children. Ask that His great love for you would astonish you, assure you, and constrain you to pursue holiness with greater passion than ever before (cf. 1 John 3:1-3).